Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Fill 'er Up

I was at the coffee shop today when the woman in front of me handed her to-go mug to the woman behind the till and said "I'll get a refill". The coffee shop worker then asked, in apparent disbelief at what it was the woman was wanting,"what?", to which the woman simply stated "a refill". "A refill of what", said the worker. "Coffee", said the woman with the to-go cup. "Cream or sugar?", came the next query. "Two of each, please", replied the woman. At this point the worker opened the to go cup, looked inside and stated "there's a teabag in here". The woman simply replied "oh ya... you can rinse that out".

Now excuse me if I'm mistaken but, to me, the term 'refill' means putting filling something up with whatever was in there last. And unless the person who is doing the filling was the original person to fill said thing in the first time they really wouldn't know what the 're' in 'refill' would be, right? And, surely, it would come as a surprise, then, to open a cup to 'refill' it with coffee... only to find a teabag, right? And call me crazy, but I wasn't aware that when you use a to-go cup you don't actually have to clean it, the restaurant, coffee shop, etc will do it for you. I mean, really? As a consumer that disturbs me. After all, when was the last time you saw someone pour a cup of coffee without resting the rim of the coffee pot on the cup being filled? The last time I saw that I'm pretty sure was in a move and it involved a silver plated teapot and a French waiter with a fancy-assed mustache. The whole situation seemed odd to me.

And I'm referring this morning's coffee shop incident... not the French waitstaff.

On a side note, the coffee place I go to now knows my order by heart, which would be reasonable if I ordered a 'regular' or a 'double double' but, alas, I do not. But I figure it's okay... since it's not like I'm asking for a refill.

1 comment:

shutterbugwife said...

I worked in a coffee shop for about a year and this story doesn't surprise me in the least. You come to learn, not only in a coffee shop but also as a waitress, that some people think you are a servant. Since you are serving them, you are clearly an idiot and not worth any respect. It's really sad.